Monday 29 October 2007

Eureka!

Having decided on a canoe the next hurdle was which one? I'd taken a shine to the Selway Fisher Peterborough/Prospector type as a stable and easily managed craft. The thought of 'stitching' together 5 panels of ply per side did put me off a little. I eventually settled on a design by Michael Storer that Raif posted to me. 'Eureka' was the design and Michael was very quick and helpful in answering my questions.
Plans paid for and downloaded I enlarged them on the works copier to A3 size and laminated them. This made them water proof and protects the plywood from coffee cup rings while building!

2 comments:

Krafty said...

You know, I was most taken by the aesthetics of the Eureka, I hope it turns out to be as fine in the water as it looks in the photos.

After reading about the best features for purpose, described in a friend of a friend's website www.canoeing.com, then comparing the various designs available online, I think the Eureka really is the one... unless you want to go building one of those things constructed from hundreds of long thin strips of wood - all very nice but I imagine costing a small fortune and taking an age to complete!?

Sonia Berry said...

I agree!